Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Zelienople: Out Sonds from Chicago

Link here.

Thanks to Zelienople for playing us on your podcast. There's some great stuff on there. It's actually been way too long since we've seen Zelienople play.


------------------------------

For this podcast, I decided to focus on local music from my hometown of Chicago. This mix is obviously not comprehensive, rather I tried to limit my selections to the more "out sounds" of the city. So this is a tiny portion of examples of Chicago sounds created by experimental musicians, i.e. electro-acoustic, ambient, noise, free-jazz, improvised, free-folk, etc. I found that I had to narrow down selections even when limiting my reach to this small corner of the city’s music scene, especially when it came to musicians that create long-form pieces like Haptic, Brent Gutzeit, Illusion of Safety, TV Pow etc. I also didn’t want to have too many tracks from one sub-genre (I could have devoted the whole podcast to artists from the fertile Free Jazz scene). I’m sure there are many that I forgot to include, others that I don’t know about and still those that I only have music by on the vinyl format (I don’t have the means to make digital files from LP’s) but this is a sample of what I have in my digital collection of music from Chicago.

[Podcast Available Through Link]

1. Equus Haar : Spires That In The Sunset Rise (Curse The Traced Bird Secret Eye, 2009)
2. Hail To Thee, Malthusia : Baker/ Hunt/ Sandstrom / Williams - Extraordinary Popular Delusions (Okkadisk, 2008)
3. Three Henries VI : Pillow - Three Henries (Hapna, 2001)
4. Cloudy : Kevin Drumm - Sheer Hellish Miasma (Mego, 2002)
5. Live recording : Scott Tuma & Jason Ajemian - Live at 3030 (unreleased, 2003)
6. Both Literally and Figuratively : Pan•American - White Bird Release (Kranky, 2009)
7. Used to be a guy : Male / All Are Welcome (Other Electricities, 2009)
8. Obsolete Elegy in Cast Concrete : Locrian - Drenched Lands (At War With False Noise, 2009)
9. MudSaltCrystalsRocksWater : The Zoo Wheel - First Born, Grand Days (Lucky Kitchen, 2004)
10. Night Bear : Ill Professor / The Miracle of Luck - Plustapes (upcoming, 2010)
11. Thème de l’Amour Universel : Art Ensemble Of Chicago - Les Stances a Sophie (Universal Sound, 1970)
12. Fading Cold : Boxhead Ensemble - The Last Place to Go (Atavistic, 1998)
13. Signposts (For Lee Friedlander) : Vandermark - Beat Reader (Atavistic, 2008)
14. 5th One Is The Dark : Mako Sica / Dual Horizon - La Société Expéditionnaire (upcoming, 2010)
15. Heisenberg Boulevard : Neil Jendon - Grand Omega Minus (unreleased, 2005)